Blog Archive

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Worshiping God with our Lives

This morning I headed out to the grocery store and pulled into a parking space, only to find I had left my purse at home. Good thing my house is only about 5 minutes away! I drove back home to get my purse and when I went out he door for the second time, someone had entered my driveway. A woman got out of the vehicle and handed me a pamphlet, saying she wanted to invite me and my family to a special event. After she had left, I read over the pamphlet and came to the conclusion that she was a Jehovah's Witness and the event was to remember the anniversary of The Lord's crucifixion and death and for others to learn more about it. One line of text on the paper got my attention though. It said,

"You will hear an explanation of how his death can benefit you and your family."

I don't think any harm was meant by this statement but I'm using it as an example of how we all, in the flesh, may think at times. We have to be careful not to stay in the mindset of "What can God do for me?" rather than "What can I do to further His kingdom?" Notice I said, we shouldn't stay in that mindset. I believe God intends for us know what He is capable and willing to do for us as His children: He gives good gifts (Mat. 7:11), He is our protector (Psa. 91:14), He provides for us (Phil. 4:19), one day we will live with Him in Paradise (Heb. 13:14), etc.
Since we know of His goodness, since we have tasted and seen, we are all called to action! Although we could never in a thousand lifetimes repay The One who has given us life and love and grace when we were unworthy, we can be effective Christians in return. Do all Christians live an effective life? Do you think there are any Christians who want the "benefits of Salvation" but want to give nothing of their lives in return? I'll leave that question up in the air for all of us.

We know Salvation is a gift- a free gift. But when you are provided for, blessed, protected, and promised a home in Paradise, wouldn't you count it a privilege and a joy to live a life that goes above and beyond for Him? Not because God needs us to love and follow Him, but because we desperately need to love and follow God. And he desires a passionate relationship with us.

In the book 'Crazy Love' written by Francis Chan, he says, "Have you ever wondered if we're missing it? It's crazy if you think about it. The God of the universe...loves us with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love. And what is our typical response? We go to church, sing songs, and try not to curse." How convicting that statement has been for me at times.

I don't want that to be true for me, though. Jesus physically gave up His life on the cross and because of that, I want to spiritually give up my life to Him.
My debt was paid in full by Jesus so I should count it all joy to witness to or befriend someone even if it happens to be painfully awkward.
He has placed talents and gifts within us and the way we use them is our gift back to Him.
He offered himself as ransom for me, so I should count it a small price to pay to give up anything he asks of me. It isn't always easy, no sometimes the price we pay for living radical lives for Christ are devastating. But in the end, our lives aren't our own and this isn't our home.

He is worthy of all our praise even if no one else gives Him glory. He has proved Himself and we must trust Him even if everyone is second guessing His presence. We must spread the word of His incredible love even if they choose not to believe. He is more than worthy of our time and attention even if everyone else pulls us from all sides with distraction.

The more time we spend with the Father, the more He reveals to us how good He is. And the more He reveals to us how deeply He loves us, the more we love Him. The more we love Him, the more we begin to make it our life's goal to better serve Him. Because as Francis Chan says in the book I mentioned, "When you're wildly in love with someone, it changes everything." We can worship Him by how we use the time He has given us here!

1 comment: